Any tips on keeping a server alive?

If something doesn't fit in any other forum then post it here.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Any tips on keeping a server alive?

Post by JMD »

Few years ago i wouldnt need any kind of help since you could get at least 100 players on a crappy little server but now its so tough getting players. Those midrates spawn all the time and they usually have at least 100 players,i m usually making high rates and i'd hate to make a mid rate just so i can have players. Anyway is there any guidlines to help people like me keep their server alive? I am to point close on giving up on my server and l2j in general. :(

FYI: Back in 2010 i used to own an EP high rate server with over 500 players but i was too young to realise what a big deal that was, now i kinda of regret on not keeping that server alive. :oops:

Please refrain from giving out private server names etc.
MELERIX
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: Any tips on keeping a server alive?

Post by MELERIX »

how keep server alive ?

the answer is obvious... having a: proper machine, proper bandwidth, proper communication with your community, and some exclusive features and stability ;)

you should think as a player looking for a new server to play, and then ask you the following thing... ¿ in what server type I'm going to play, and for what reasons ?
burrito

Post by burrito »

To expand upon what MELERIX has said a little bit, give people a true reason to play your server over someone elses, have unique features you wont find other places and continue to develop more of them, make them miss the features you have when they try other servers, so they will be back too. Another thing i see extremely lacking in most servers that mine is praised for is excellent support it does wonders, but it takes time and dedication.
HorridoJoho
L2j Senior Developer
L2j Senior Developer

Post by HorridoJoho »

Advertisement
Back in the days, we had an online radio playing a 15 seconds radio spot for us every hour.
Ofc we had to place their banner on our webite.

We had about 250 players in the first 3 days and 500 after first week constantly online.

That was freaking awsome :D

Features
Although we didn't have a high rate server, i think the custom features are among the most important parts for them.
Uniqueness, entertainment, fun.

Support
I think support is also very important.
While automation systems can be very nice, too much of automation reduces the proximity to the player.
Our 4 man team were like 24/7 online, we could handle 800-1000 constantly online ppl with 2 ppl doing support.