Contributions offtopic

If something doesn't fit in any other forum then post it here.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: Contributions offtopic

Post by UnAfraid »

When i have time to open the forum i am checking all posts i didn't read and when there is a topic awaiting for review i leave a comment.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Not always, apparently.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
St3eT

Post by St3eT »

If i should be black sheep for sure no as punishment
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

What?
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Aikimaniac
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Aikimaniac »

jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

If you have something to say, say it.
And in case you're so blind to facepalm about "Not always, apparently", I meant that about UnAfraid's words "when there is a topic awaiting for review i leave a comment".
Gladicek

Post by Gladicek »

WTB few beers. This topic gonna be like another world war.
ImageImage
L2J retired
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

Sarcasm:
I think he is right... and it's all my fault, I haven't been able to push developers to do more and more work :|

I was hoping that they would eventually learn from a hard hand that they must work all their free time for L2J, sadly I couldn't manage that yet, new changes in the team will result in better outcome, I can assure you that.

On 06/01/2013 we will start charging fees to developers that are inactive, having fun, listening to music, hanging around with their friends, breathing, well pretty much everything that is not coding for L2J.

This fees will be used to hire new developers that won't be that lazy, and will get the work done faster and better.

I have seen this working in other projects and now they have a big success.

A new rule will be enforced: All the developers will have to use the View unanswered posts link every 5 seconds, so there is no unanswered post, that way we will give back community everything that they give us, posts.

There will be no more secretive work, we will paste our Skype/IRC chats in regular basis so everyone can know how many no-sense we said before writing something actually useful, that way you will know at all times what is being said and done.

With this new rules, we hope L2J turn around this nasty situation, and get to a better state.

Zoey76
Last edited by Zoey76 on Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed for non-Sarcasm speakers :mrgreen:
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 ๐ŸŒŒ | Eclipse Temurin 21 โ˜• | MariaDB 11.3.2 ๐Ÿ—ƒ๏ธ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five ๐Ÿš€

๐Ÿ”— Join our Discord! ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ’ฌ
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

I don't think you get it.
Do you actually believe that the way contributions are currently handled is perfectly fine and that nothing should be changed about it?

P.S. you two, Gladicek and Aikimaniac, if you're not going to post anything worthwhile, might as well not post anything at all.
Gladicek

Post by Gladicek »

jurchiks wrote:I don't think you get it.
Do you actually believe that the way contributions are currently handled is perfectly fine and that nothing should be changed about it?

P.S. you two, Gladicek and Aikimaniac, if you're not going to post anything worthwhile, might as well not post anything at all.
Why? This project is open-source project on which are working people which have it like "HOBBY". And you are still posting/spamming about that they are not checking contributions etc..blablabla.

Probably you should get access to svn and check/commit everything which you want to be on svn when you have too many free time.

I understand about few things which you wanted but still till this project is "HOBBY" and not for money then you can just sit in corner and wait for your opportunity.

The End...
ImageImage
L2J retired
lion
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by lion »

Zoey76 wrote:and will get the work done faster and better.
people work like that on main work, where they get money, and "must" do that. and in open source people work when have free time, have desire to work
Zoey76 wrote: I have seen this working in other projects and now they have a big success.
can you give example this l2j project? i don't know open source project what have history more than 2-3 year, only closed project where member get money for they work.
Zoey76 wrote: A new rule will be enforced: All the developers will have to use the View unanswered posts link every 5 seconds, so there is no unanswered post, that way we will give back community everything that they give us, posts.
if team member is developer, he is not support team, support can be done if team member want that, why member must answer 100 time for same question? only because other people don't want learn or use search before ask? if this is some contribution - and you have no time for check it, you "must" check it with new rule :mrgreen: ?
Zoey76 wrote:
There will be no more secretive work, we will paste our Skype/IRC chats in regular basis so everyone can know how many no-sense we said before writing something actually useful, that way you will know at all times what is being said and done.
l2j have official irc channel - thats enough for real time talk.

ps Zoey76 pls don't think im hate you or smt like that :P it is only my opinion
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

@Gladicek - but they aren't. There are so many contributions that have been simply forgotten. Do you think it should stay that way?
@lion - that was sarcasm, Zoey didn't actually mean that :D
lion
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by lion »

jurchiks wrote:There are so many contributions that have been simply forgotten. Do you think it should stay that way?
i think they forgotten because not tested on live server, current l2j problem its commit to beta svn without proper test, im like sure 90% dev now don't have live server which run on l2j. early when i was active in l2j we with _DS_ test all patch and rework on our live server before commit in svn (we have different server, so test was on 2 live server), so there was ready contribution. Now they committed without proper test.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

There are things that don't even require such thorough testing that haven't been committed.
There are initiates and advanced users that could be assigned the task of checking/testing user contributions, after which a senior dev could give his final word, but even that doesn't happen. If they don't want to do it, maybe create another 2 member groups named Reviewers and Testers, which would then be obligated to do what the group's name implies.
Currently, what's the point of anyone contributing if the attitude towards the contributors is so cold? There is no incentive to contribute. It's not like people feel like contributing because it's some kind of privilege, they want some mental reward aswell, but what they get instead is silence, mostly.
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

Those groups must be from ppl with servers so they can test all on live servers.
The only one who have live server running l2j atm is nBd.
Since he started his live server we discovered so many problems that was there and noone else reported them, that's sad..