nested conditionals - your stance on them?

If something doesn't fit in any other forum then post it here.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct

What do you think about nested ternary operators?

They are good.
No votes
They are bad.
33%
They need to be used wisely.
67%

Total votes: 9

jurchiks

nested conditionals - your stance on them?

Post by jurchiks »

Since nobody wants to argue on the contribution threads, I'm making this discussion here.
There are lots of people supporting the notion that nested conditionals are bad for readability and thus should be avoided, like, for example, here:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic ... operators/
http://codereview.stackexchange.com/que ... this-abuse

Example code of a nested conditional:

Code: Select all

tmp = (someLongCondition1 ? (someLongCondition2 ? method1returnValue : method2returnValue) : method3returnValue);
Of course, the problem is lessened if the conditional is broken into multiple lines, like so:

tmp = (someLongCondition1    ? (someLongCondition2        ? method1returnValue        : method2returnValue)    : method3returnValue);
but for l2j that would require putting "formatter:off/on" flags around it, which, obviously, nobody is going to do.
Compare that to the following:

if (!someLongCondition1){    tmp = method3returnValue;}else if (someLongCondition2){    tmp = method1returnValue;}else{    tmp = method2returnValue;}
What is your stance on nested conditionals (taking into consideration real-world examples where variables and values are longer than 1 character) - are they fine or are they bad? Would you avoid them? Why?

Reasonable explanations please, "don't care" does not count.

P.S. I would like to ask mods not to lock this topic just because you don't care about the subject. This is the off-topic section after all.
Also, would be nice if this thread could be turned into a poll.
Last edited by Zoey76 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added poll.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
xban1x
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: nested conditionals - your stance on them?

Post by xban1x »

You are making this cause of 20-30 quests in which is used same nested conditional... and it usually looks almost identical in all of those quests.

None the less i will give a opinion on this, without being stupid.

In those quest, i believe it's totally ok to use it, because it's something that repeats itself in other quests and you memorize it and know what it is.

If this would be used only at 1 place and would not be something that repeats itself and is nested more then 2 times( I believe 2 is still ok because after conditions the results go "true : false : false"). If its more then 2 conditions it does truly become unreadable for any normal human being.

So that puts me kind of in middle of yes and no for nested conditionals.

Thats, my 2 cents

P.S. I cannot turn it into a pool.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

I believe there weren't any quests with nested conditionals before you started writing them like that... But if you can prove me wrong, then it's a plus for you.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

I don't like long nested conditionals i'd reworked some to few lines as u may have seen in collision getters for example.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Yeah, I noticed. Props for that :)
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

They are called nested ternary operators in text books.

Anyway, I'm fine with them if they are not over 3 levels and they won't contain any logic.
Examples of discouraged use would look like:

Object val = bool1 ? obj1 : bool2 ? obj2 : bool3 : obj3 : ...;Object val = obj0 != null && obj.processData() != null ? obj1 : obj2.getValue() < obj3.getValue() ? obj2 : obj3;
Same as Stackoverflow and other sites, this question is seen as not constructive to me.

It'll depend on the developer(s) writing the code, not much the rest of us can do.