L2J and Dependency Injection

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

L2J and Dependency Injection

Post by Zoey76 »

Trying to improve L2J architecture, testability and overall design I have been experimenting with dependency injection in the core.

https://bitbucket.org/l2jserver/l2j-ser ... e6f2ec3cbd

I've used Spring Context (could have used Guice, but I may use more of the Spring Framework in the future), the basic idea is to create managed beans and avoid Singleton anti-pattern that we have favored so much in the past.

In this example server is configured to use a new application context and all DAOs are turned into injectable @Repository beans, also player loading and creation is segregated to a PlayerService class.

This @Autowire(d) components are not visible in datapack due compilation, need to experiment with AspectJ a little bit further to get it working.

Before moving forward on this approach, I'll work more on completing this DAO/Repository classes removing data access code from classes such as L2PcInstance.

I'd like to know what do you think about this approach, I believe it could help go towards TDD and more flexible and extensible Core implementation.
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 ๐ŸŒŒ | Eclipse Temurin 21 โ˜• | MariaDB 11.2.2 ๐Ÿ—ƒ๏ธ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five ๐Ÿš€

๐Ÿ”— Join our Discord! ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ’ฌ
jurchiks

Re: L2J and Dependency Injection

Post by jurchiks »

Some of these injections look like they'd reduce CPU usage and speed of access (`DAOFactory.getInstance().getXDAO()`) and, conversely, potentially slightly increase memory usage due to persistent in-memory references that these calls avoided. No idea which is better, but I'd probably go for reduced CPU usage since RAM is cheap and plentiful these days.
However, some seem to be pointless (injecting an instance of a class when only static methods of that class are used). That's essentially an unused instance.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Re: L2J and Dependency Injection

Post by Zoey76 »

jurchiks wrote: โ†‘Mon May 04, 2020 12:26 am Some of these injections look like they'd reduce CPU usage and speed of access (`DAOFactory.getInstance().getXDAO()`) and, conversely, potentially slightly increase memory usage due to persistent in-memory references that these calls avoided. No idea which is better, but I'd probably go for reduced CPU usage since RAM is cheap and plentiful these days.
However, some seem to be pointless (injecting an instance of a class when only static methods of that class are used). That's essentially an unused instance.
Agreed, that not all would benefit right away, this is not really about CPU or RAM, it's about design and extensibility, you can neglect most of this injection costs.