[Help] How to update

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Violence

[Help] How to update

Post by Violence »

Please do not throw slippers at once to me

I know these questions of this type have already been asked on this forum but unfortunately I did not understand, could you explain to me again if you do not complicate it.

Dear users, and those who are already well understands to update and compile the source, please explain to me how do I properly update server (for example if the working server located on the hosting and is working but the SVN to update the Localhost machine but there was a new revision and me wanted to update) please tell me how to do it correct is desirable by step from first to last and what you need to do this.

How to move a new upgrade of dp and server to hosting thus that would not reset the server again?

I use [BETA] because he is more updates.
And one small but very interesting question the better the to Use BETA or Stable versions and how they differ
[P.S] Sorry for my bad English
jurchiks

Re: [Help] How to update

Post by jurchiks »

http://www.l2jserver.com/wiki/Synchronization

Stable is considered to be the last revision that was considered to be somewhat complete (in the sense that it didn't contain any half-completed reworks).
Beta houses all the latest development (which may - and often does - contain bugs).
There are some things that Stable users have asked for which are already done in Beta, but we can't update Stable now because there's still a lot of mess in Beta (there are some problems with skills, for example, which are due to be fixed soon).
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Violence

Post by Violence »

I do not understand how can I get the button "Java Source Compare", and one more question, I can of unused Eclipse and just assume just find those files that have changed or updated, and just copy them to the server? I once tried to do so but I have started to leave me a strange error ... Is there an easier way to update the say without using Eclipse?

Or, if not more difficult a simple guide on updating ...Just not this time looking through the guide and not once came across a forum on these topics, but alas, nothing worked for me with an update ...
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

It's not easy to maintain your changes and keep updated code, and it gets more complicated as you make more changes of your own. There isn't that much text in that guide, I suggest you read it through carefully (don't do anything else at the same time, just read through and then see how it goes).

"Java Source Compare" is the default when you compare Java files. Don't need to change anything.

Also, it is considerably harder to merge your changes via command line, so I'd suggest to you stick with Eclipse (or any other IDE you might use).
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Violence

Post by Violence »

There was an idea, what do you say for example the fact if I'm going to do such update follows as stable updates do not go so often to run the stable version, and will be updated when the code I'm just going to compile a new build and the data from the database ie backup and other changed files from the old server will be transferred to the new one is going to work 100% as it should be?
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Violence

Post by Violence »

What I mean is that if a new update came out I just compile again assembly only has the updated code and simply add a backup that is already running on the server, but without the upgrade, and simply replace the configs and stuff that changed himself, it's supposed to work?
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

You mean instead of modifying the original code and syncing the changes, you want to simply do it "the old way" and copy files over every time? Suit yourself.
Violence

Post by Violence »

Now I will try to explain the details to you that there is no misunderstanding now I'm running a server for example Stable and tomorrow there are new updates, I just compile or downloading a new build and from the server that I already running copy the database and configs files generally do backup and copy all the a new build is going to work? rather it will work properly?
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

I will tell you how I'd keep my server clean and updated:
  1. Get sources from SVN.
  2. Make my changes over it.
  3. Compile Core and Datapack and deploy them to the server.
  4. Synchronize new changes and make required updates for my customs.
  5. Remove all in files in server folder.
  6. Back to #3 and run Database updates.