So how does it work?

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
sahar

So how does it work?

Post by sahar »

How does it work wih H5 / Etheria development? do you apply fixes done on etheria on the h5 and vice versa or?
The reason I ask this is because I wonder where the devs of l2j dedicate their development time, i'm new to l2j was using acis as my interlude server for more than 2 years, decided to upgrarde to h5.
Right now my server is on beta, and within a few weeks of beta wih around 50 unique online people in average i've reported more than 10 important bugs, so I don't think working on a later version of L2 is really a good idea before the previous version is even finished, or at least being close to retail-like...
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: So how does it work?

Post by UnAfraid »

There is no such thing as finished version.
We are working on both branches if something fits the other branch it gets merged there too.
Only me and Sdw from the team are focused on Ertheia the others are focused on high five.
Sdw
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Sdw »

I'm (we are) syncing the Ertheia branch weekly with H5 patches.

Common stuff for both branch goes in H5 and are sync as mentioned above.

I don't think you see how hard it is to find people with skills or just willing to learn to actually help doing something. Free and volunteer work eating a lot of free time doesn't sound that attractive he ? :D

Now, personally, I pushed for the opening of an Ertheia branch a lot. I got bored with H5 and I'm not touching it for almost 6 month now, and I'm really not planning to do so, except if I'm doing something common. That's my choice, my time, and I want to spend it as I want, and I really _don't care_ if the H5 branch is unfinished as I won't be using it. That's selfish yeah, but keep in mind the fun drives us, and H5 is no fun to me.
sahar

Post by sahar »

I do understand the hard work of it, and I came here to just understand how it works, because I do belive that most of the H5 features are common with etheria, and that if they are incomplete or not working properly in h5, then they will obviously be broken on etheria aswell, thats why I was wondering why to start a new branch before the previous one works fine...

Just a small example, the level 80 symbols which were here from interlude, are still not working at all on H5...

Thanks for the answers thought, appreciate that :)
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

Sahar, we decided at Inner Circle level, that we could change how L2j was working, for example instead of focusing on the latest version, we kind of stalled on High Five, which was nice because we completed and reworked many features, but we were losing some developers that wanted to work in other server versions (Interlude, Ertheia), the change was (thanks to Git), you work on the server version you desire and L2j official (most complete, tested, etc) version is at the moment High Five.

Seeing a lot of activity on Ertheia branch, doesn't mean that we forgot about other server versions.

I hope you grasp the idea about the development from our point of view.