Regarding Setup for a Good Server box

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Saso

Regarding Setup for a Good Server box

Post by Saso »

This is a request for guidance on a part of this topic.
I think this is very useful and every server admin should implement at least a part of these in their server.

http://www.l2jserver.com/old-forum/thre ... adid=27154

The problem I had is with the following:

Code: Select all

6.Startup parameters (for Java - Gameserver/loginserver console) Ok so everything is set to go just for one thing, your java startup parameters.This is just like the thread pool config, they should be configured for your hardware.There are a couple of things you need to think about.First, if you have [b]32 bit java[/b] you cannot set your xmx and xms higher then 1536Second, the -server parameter. You should only use this if you have 2 Cores or more and more then 2 GB ram! If you dont DO NOT USE this parameter. The difference between starting your server in -server mode is that it runs waaaaaay better. Will have less lag and better resource usage. So if you can, always use this. Other settings like ram all depend on how much you got. You should set these setting according to your ram size:  -Xmx4096m -Xms2048m -Xmn1024m -XXTongue ermSize=256m.At my server this works great and i havent touched this for ages. code:title Game Server Console:startecho Starting L2J Game Server.echo.REM -------------------------------------REM Default parameters for a basic server.[b]REM [/b]java -Xmx1024m -cp ./../libs/*;l2jserver.jar net.sf.l2j.gameserver.GameServer REMREM If you have a big server and lots of memory, you could experiment for example withjava -server  -Xmx4096m -Xms2048m -Xmn1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -Xnoclassgc -XX:+AggressiveOpts -cp ./../libs/*;l2jserver.jar net.sf.l2j.gameserver.GameServerREM ------------------------------------- 
OK, so Since i got a 32 bit Java, I can only set my xmx to 1536 which I did, same with my xms.
The Error I am getting is the following:

Code: Select all

Error: no 'server' JVM at 'C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\server\jvm.dll'
Now I go to my Java folder, and indeed there is no server folder.

Anybody got any clue what I need to get/update/download/modify on my server box to get the 'server' folder and everything that needs to be in there?

Specs are:
32-bit Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition -(Original, not Pirated)-

2 x Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5345 (2 @ 2.44 GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 80W)

4GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Fully Buffered DIMMs
_DS_
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: Regarding Setup for a Good Server box

Post by _DS_ »

Install JDK.

Moved to the other subforum.
Commiter of the shit
public static final int PI = 3.1415926535897932384626433832795;
Vapulabe

Post by Vapulabe »

1) under MS Windows, default JVM is Client, under Linux, default JVM is server if RAM>=2Gb and there are at least 2 processors or cores
2) Server mode takes more memory to run, starts slower but runs faster
3) you may use server mode (and have performance increase) even if you only have 1 processor/core and/or less than 2Gb RAM

If you plan to use L2J, I suggest you to use the JDK (download at java.sun.org -> J2SE). If you want to do some developement, you have to also download Java Documentation .zip (about 50Mb) and it'll be easier if you also get an IDE (either NetBeans (you find JDK+Netbeans packages on java.sun.org -> J2SE) or Eclipse)

There is a very good book about Java called Core Java II (campus press reference), which comes in 2 parts (first book is about Java langage and basic graphics, second is about DB, J2EE and other)
Bruteforce

Post by Bruteforce »

I have the same problem.
I have installed JDK u13, but get same message.
I tried to un-install the normal java (JRE), then it said it found no java when I tried to start the server.
I then re-installed JDK, and it itstalled JRE too for me, and again, I got the first error message.
So it seems it still uses JRE to run the server. And then -server switch doesn't work.
How do I get it to run with JDK, so that -server will work?

Thanks!
Bruteforce

Post by Bruteforce »

Never mind... found out in old forum that one should change the path from JRE to JDK bin folder! :)
Saso

Post by Saso »

Ah... the simple things that make you smack yourself in the forehead...

Thanks Bruteforce, +1 for you bud.

Edit: Where did you change the path? Looked all over my config files could not find anything.

Installed JVM and all that just gotta change the path now.