[Solved] Problem with Mysql on Ubuntu server

Have you created a useful tool? or Do you want to get help building one? This is the right place!
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
AntV

[Solved] Problem with Mysql on Ubuntu server

Post by AntV »

I'm not sure this is the right place to start this topic, but since here is the guide for setting up the server, it seemed the right place to put it...

Anyway the issue:

I installed the LAMPP like the wiki suggested, but when I tried to run the database installer I got an error saying that mysql was an unknown command or smthng, so I downloaded the mysql-server and mysql-client (via apt-get install).

After that when I tried to execute the installer it give me the error: 'Can't connect to local Mysql server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'.

After a lot of googling and a moment of clarity, I realized that it was because lampp Mysql and MySql conflict, so I stopped Lampp and started the 'pure' MySQL.

Trying to install the database with 'pure' Mysql seems to have worked, but I cannot connect to it remotely (navicat or phpMyadmin), so I'm not quite sure... (I have granted all access rights for all the table to root@my-ip through mysql commands, but it didn't help at all...)

So, what should I do now? Should I try to fix the problems of pure Mysql and have lampp only for the websites? Should I try to remove 'pure' MySQL and try to work with the lampp issues? And how?
Last edited by AntV on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jurchiks

Re: Problem with Mysql on Ubuntu server

Post by jurchiks »

instal mysql gui tools and use mysql admin and query browser.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
AntV

Post by AntV »

I'm using ubuntu server and I'm connecting via ssh and FTP, so, I don't think it's possible to use GUI tools...
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

... gui tools are the same as navicat, so why are you trying to use it?
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Probe

Post by Probe »

IF you connect via ssh you can use root in the mysql command line in server no?

imo you might need a new user with priveleges, which is set not to run from localhost, but from your home ip

also.. if you installed phpmyadmin on your ubuntu server, and it's running from there, you should have no trouble going to yourserver.com/phpMyAdmin (or the special directly you set it to), and then logging in with root there
AntV

Post by AntV »

Probe wrote:IF you connect via ssh you can use root in the mysql command line in server no?

imo you might need a new user with priveleges, which is set not to run from localhost, but from your home ip

also.. if you installed phpmyadmin on your ubuntu server, and it's running from there, you should have no trouble going to yourserver.com/phpMyAdmin (or the special directly you set it to), and then logging in with root there

The problem is that I have set a the root to be accessible through my IP, but Navicat gives out an Error...
(Cannot connect to 'server-ip'(61))

The Problem with the PhPMyAdmin is that it only works with the XAMPP MySQL Database and not with the simple one (it says: #2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)). Maybe there are some config files I could toy with, I don't know...
kotk

Post by kotk »

If you are sure you added the user correctly and "FLUSH PRIVILEGES", maybe check in your my.cnf for "skip-networking". Usually in the [mysqld] section, comment that out and restart mysql.
Probe

Post by Probe »

kotk wrote:If you are sure you added the user correctly and "FLUSH PRIVILEGES", maybe check in your my.cnf for "skip-networking". Usually in the [mysqld] section, comment that out and restart mysql.
phpMyAdmin should work fine with a regular mysql db.. if you set it up right
I set it up on a virtual machine
AntV

Post by AntV »

Ok, I managed to get ver this issue..
I've added the DBs to the XAMPP-MYSQL. The only think I did differently is I used '127.0.0.1' instead of 'localhost' when it asked me where to install and it worked... I don't know why, but I know it seems ok now :P

Thanks everybody for your help :)