Help with setting up a 1K+ server

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
DeathDream

Help with setting up a 1K+ server

Post by DeathDream »

Having had many small, and I mean small private servers, I want to set up a strong server from home.
This is the US. Meaning, 12 mbps means 1.1 MBps ALWAYS. I can also get up to a 2.2 MBps download. Is this connection good enough since packets are just being sent?

I am also thinking about:
8GB or 16GB ddr3 RAM
Athlon X2 x64 2.6 GHz (since l2j isn't CPU intensive)
2x 7200 RPM hard drives. (might get SAS 15k's)

What do you guys who have experience with this area think?
Sirpaypi

Re: Help with setting up a 1K+ server

Post by Sirpaypi »

I already tried a home made, and I failed.

That server cant handle 1000 players, even with 200 player you will have freezes when changing classes or taking classes or getting new skills etc.
Saying that Java is nice because it works on all OSes is like saying that anal sex is nice because it works on all genders.
Stake

Post by Stake »

I think, server specs are good, however you could use SSD's. The problem would be your net speed. Upload speed that counts because clients connect to your server, and not vice versa. Anyway, some useful JVM parameters:

-Xnoclassgc -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+AggressiveOpts

ParallelGCThreads should be set to your number of CPU cores. This GC options are standard-like. It is used on every large population server. You can't do drastic performance increase with simple startup parameters, so you should think about optimization in code and on your server.
Nik
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Nik »

L2J consumes a lot of CPU, I can verify that. About the ram, you dont need more than 8g for ~1k players.
All you need is:
Fast RAM, not a lot of memory.
Fast CPU, L2J do not consume so much CPU, but when you get so many players, it sure does consume a lot of CPU. Quad core is a minimum.
Fast HDD for faster database I/O.
Playing a game where you know how every single mechanism works is quite satisfying.
Its the main perk that a gamer-developer has :D
momo61

Post by momo61 »

Nik is right. Im wondering though, what is better for an L2J server, DDR2 or DDR3 ?
MELERIX
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by MELERIX »

momo61 wrote:Nik is right. Im wondering though, what is better for an L2J server, DDR2 or DDR3 ?
depend...

DDR1 for example (if we talk about latency) is more fast than DDR2 or DDR3, but have less bandwidth
Stake

Post by Stake »

MELERIX wrote:
momo61 wrote:Nik is right. Im wondering though, what is better for an L2J server, DDR2 or DDR3 ?
depend...

DDR1 for example (if we talk about latency) is more fast than DDR2 or DDR3, but have less bandwidth
Block selection latency is configurable in bios.
Sirpaypi

Post by Sirpaypi »

One time I used 10gb ramdisk and that the faster thing you can use for a l2j server, but more expensive.

Now using normal HDD when for example I set_level 85 to someone I stay blocked for like 30 / 40 secs.
Same thing when I take new class etc. Dunno where to problem but I think it's from writing into data base.

And this machine has 24 Gb...
Saying that Java is nice because it works on all OSes is like saying that anal sex is nice because it works on all genders.
DeathDream

Post by DeathDream »

How would a quad core, 8 gb ram, fast hard drive, and 5 mbps upload be?
mrTJO
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by mrTJO »

5 Mbps may be not enough.
5 Mbps = 5000 kbps
5000 kbps = 5000 kbps/8 = 625 kBps
625kBps/1000 users = 625 Bps/user

also, what do you mean for "quad core processor", "8 GB ram" and "fast hard drive"? :D
every quad core processor have different frequences and perfomances, the same for ram and hard drives
running l2j on a 3,3 GHz clock would be surely more performant than a 1,2 GHz processor :D
the same for other components, expecially HDD.
DeathDream

Post by DeathDream »

Alright guys, here is a deal ive found. 100Mbps connection. for 15$ a month extra i can get 1Gb port.

Xeon X3370 3.0GHZ Quad Core 8GB RAM 150GB Velociraptor 2,000G/mo $177 a month

OR

Intel Xeon Lynnfield X3460 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, 2x500GB SAS, RAID 1, 10TB Intel Xeon Lynnfield X3460 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, 2x500GB SAS, RAID 1, 10TB $175 mo

What do you guys think?
Szponiasty
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Szponiasty »

Sirpaypi wrote:One time I used 10gb ramdisk and that the faster thing you can use for a l2j server, but more expensive.

Now using normal HDD when for example I set_level 85 to someone I stay blocked for like 30 / 40 secs.
Same thing when I take new class etc. Dunno where to problem but I think it's from writing into data base.

And this machine has 24 Gb...
Then setup your MySQL caching: use myisam for your gs database, increase key buffer size, sort buffer size, additionally increase myisam key/sort/cache sizes, allocate a lot for query cache... That will have same (or better) result, as buying very pricy ssd disk :) No SSD or SAS is quicker than RAM :)

PS. RAM disk will also not be that efficient, as increasing mysql caching pools.
And in the next chronicle they went into space, fighting the evil empire... In a galaxy far, far away xD
sd619

Post by sd619 »

the private server is the way to go, i have had in the "begining of my private server community setup" a home server and it failed real fast, due to the flood of players the bandwidth could not support a home connection, and i had a intel xeon qaud core 16g ram, and 3x 15k raptors, and fully config'd setup to perfection, but the lag was still OMFG!!