Coding style

If something doesn't fit in any other forum then post it here.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
theone

Re: suggestion: coding style

Post by theone »

Zoey76 wrote:This topic could get sticked, but you need to keep first post for code suggestion only and clean and the other posts for opinion/talk about this topic. :wink:
That's a great idea :)
Subject should be changed to "Coding style" instead of "Suggestion: coding style" however. And it should be put in:
Server Development / User Contributions
Server Development / Custom server mods

Just a suggestion :) You guys do what you want, I'm only trying to help
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: suggestion: coding style

Post by UnAfraid »

I like the topic stinky on :!:
It must be read by everyone i think i was complaining about coding style in almost every contribution untill the author started contributing with clean and understandable code
Bloodshed
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: Coding style

Post by Bloodshed »

Enforcing a hierarchy for contributions should be present to enforce this.

While developers down the ladder test (and learn from) the code. A developer up the ladder should glance over the code before it gets committed to enforce the requirements.
If it doesn't meet the criteria, it should get refactored (optional: with help from the checking dev).
taking a break;
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

Bloodshed wrote:Enforcing a hierarchy for contributions should be present to enforce this.

While developers down the ladder test (and learn from) the code. A developer up the ladder should glance over the code before it gets committed to enforce the requirements.
If it doesn't meet the criteria, it should get refactored (optional: with help from the checking dev).
We do this with Adv. Users, and Initiates. :lol:
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 ๐ŸŒŒ | Eclipse Temurin 21 โ˜• | MariaDB 11.3.2 ๐Ÿ—ƒ๏ธ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five ๐Ÿš€

๐Ÿ”— Join our Discord! ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ’ฌ
powerful0guardian

Post by powerful0guardian »

I have a question about code style formatter... I see on changelog L2J Devs formatting source files 10 by 10 or one by one.. My question is: would not be easier to format the whole sources and add a settings in eclipse (save actions) auto format file when you save it? I am speaking about Java sources now, ofc.

PS: I would disable formatter on javadocs and comments. (just my opinion)

PS2: + could be setted up save action as organize import and cleanup too.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Already suggested both full format and "format on save", they don't like the idea. Apparently some of the devs are against a single formatting style and that's why they don't do it.
Total BS if you ask me, considering that those who are against don't even work on the public SVN (or at least rarely do).
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
powerful0guardian

Post by powerful0guardian »

jurchiks wrote:Already suggested both full format and "format on save", they don't like the idea. Apparently some of the devs are against a single formatting style and that's why they don't do it.
Total BS if you ask me, considering that those who are against don't even work on the public SVN (or at least rarely do).
make poll for that too in that case... and who don't work on public SVN, his opinion is not important.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

I'm against full format in one change-set, do you think I rarely work on SVN?

Anyway, it's being done for each file every time a major rework is done, or when a developer feels like it.