Just an idea...

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
nonom
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: Just an idea...

Post by nonom »

Aikimaniac wrote:- Would be this game/client open source?
Yes. It's a Open place so I suppose they are talking about Open Source.
Aikimaniac wrote:Is this the right forum to discuss this idea and to seek for proper and skilled devs?
Owned.
Aikimaniac wrote:Lets face the reality (yes im maybe pesimistic) which isnt very positive due points you mentioned in first post. We cannot close our eyes that this project/community is for very long time base on leeching. I dont mean now code or credits stealing, but the fact that 5 percent of L2J users/forum members do create something and the rest is just using their work for their servers or as a base for their projects. I dont blame anyone on this since its Open Source idea. My thoughts are about this that this isnt the right community to start something like that.
The Times now are so different, thats the point many people wont get yet. Take a look around you, following other projects (not l2j) and watch like these people surely don't worried about leech. I'm working in a couple of them, if you need more references but I hope you wont to see my old skill Wall of Text discussing that.

In my opinion the "leech" word "exist" not for this project by itself but people who thinks that his work can be shared without permission. That's weird on the year 2012, I'm not worried about my name appears in a code, so congratulations already living on 90's. The time is running out.
"There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
theone

Post by theone »

Aikimaniac wrote:Well..this is not the first time and for sure not the last time when this idea appeared on L2J forums. With this idea are bound also few questions:
- Would be this game/client open source?
- How long it will take to develop it from scratch, how many months, years?
- Is it worth to do it or it is just "excercise" to freshen coding skills to see if something like that is possible?
- Is this the right forum to discuss this idea and to seek for proper and skilled devs?

Lets face the reality (yes im maybe pesimistic) which isnt very positive due points you mentioned in first post. We cannot close our eyes that this project/community is for very long time base on leeching. I dont mean now code or credits stealing, but the fact that 5 percent of L2J users/forum members do create something and the rest is just using their work for their servers or as a base for their projects. I dont blame anyone on this since its Open Source idea. My thoughts are about this that this isnt the right community to start something like that.
Well...for once I dont disagraa with you aiki :)
I was seeing this as a was to prevent L2J from slowly dying and moving forward to something new, now that L2 is free. I'm seeing L2J as an entity, not just as a community, it's become bigger than that.
It goes along the same lines as when a music band starts. For the first x number of years, they do covers (copy other famous mucisicians' music. And at some point, when they feel ready, they start creating their own music.
Maybe it's not the right place to discuss this... you're right... I just wanted to see what would come out of the idea :)
theone

Post by theone »

jurchiks wrote:@Stake - you're thinking way too far ahead. At this point we should stick to the very basics and not make great plans years into the future.
+1
jurchiks wrote:@theone - maybe you should first finish what you've already started and then get on with this? I don't think you'll be able to pull all of it together right now. This isn't meant to be offensive, of course, just a reasonable suggestion.
I'm just putting the idea out there for now... lets wait and see what happens :)

As far as the client and the language it should be programmed in... imho this is for a second discussion :)
theone

Post by theone »

nonom wrote:In my opinion the "leech" word "exist" not for this project by itself but people who thinks that his work can be shared without permission. That's weird on the year 2012, I'm not worried about my name appears in a code, so congratulations already living on 90's. The time is running out.
I believe Aiki used the "leech" word because I used to complain about this :P But I could be wrong....
theone

Post by theone »

@Evilus: You're totally correct about the code... from scratch is better, with salvaging a few parts here and there... I was thinking more about saving some dev time, but in the end cleaning it could be longer than re-making it :)

In any case, this was just a crazy idea... please all keep the conversation as it is currently => civilized
Gladicek

Post by Gladicek »

theone wrote: Well...for once I dont disagraa with you aiki :)
I was seeing this as a was to prevent L2J from slowly dying and moving forward to something new, now that L2 is free. I'm seeing L2J as an entity, not just as a community, it's become bigger than that.
It goes along the same lines as when a music band starts. For the first x number of years, they do covers (copy other famous mucisicians' music. And at some point, when they feel ready, they start creating their own music.
Maybe it's not the right place to discuss this... you're right... I just wanted to see what would come out of the idea :)
+1 ;)
Leaching is everywhere and will be...that is our world :D
ImageImage
L2J retired
Evilus

Post by Evilus »

theone wrote:@Evilus: You're totally correct about the code... from scratch is better, with salvaging a few parts here and there... I was thinking more about saving some dev time, but in the end cleaning it could be longer than re-making it :)

In any case, this was just a crazy idea... please all keep the conversation as it is currently => civilized
Ye ofc we can keep som stuff such as the "utils" some stuff there is quite good to keep and should be kept. But I think you got my point to start reworking current code is just heck of a job and would just cause more bugs and waste a lot of time trying to make it work instead just make new project and start doing exactly like you would do if you did rework just not thinking of the current code at all. Anyway you got what I meant in my post.

The idea you mention in this thread is good(ofc only if it is started from complete scrach). However what needs to be done is not focus so much on using the L2 client maybe make some kind of "plugin-based-packets"(hah Kinda nice easy just thought of it). Basically lets say you want to use Interlude client you have all those packets in a compiled lib and just load it to connect to client, the core handles all sending and receiving of those packets. Later WHEN(IF?!) the client is done we can easly change the packets which were created for the L2 client without having to change it in a lot places of core.
theone

Post by theone »

Modular approach to the packet engine... I like :)
Sounds like my current way of doing things
LasTravel

Post by LasTravel »

@theone, just my opinion, if you want start any project related with l2j, better start it in oder place "out of the hands of this red names" what only want kill free&open l2j developement.

PS: Nice to see you around here :)
Stake

Post by Stake »

jurchiks wrote:@Stake - you're thinking way too far ahead. At this point we should stick to the very basics and not make great plans years into the future.
We shouldn't discuss the basics here, only short concrete answers, that I did. From this aspect, this is the basics, since the concept is always the basics. There are countless topics about this idea, all has many posts, then people had run out of ideas. We should start something, if we really want to start, not only talking about it.
Aikimaniac wrote:the fact that 5 percent of L2J users/forum members do create something and the rest is just using their work for their servers or as a base for their projects. I dont blame anyone on this since its Open Source idea. My thoughts are about this that this isnt the right community to start something like that.
You are too pessimistic. There are at least 60% of the forum people who do something even if it's not L2j. I'm working on several projects in different programming languages. I had learned programming in C, then OOP in C++ and Java, and so on. However, about my job, I'm basically a web developer. I just want to say that there are way more people similarly to me who don't leech anything, and have not even touched L2j for a couple of years. I bet you as well are in a similar situation, but you are a member of this project, therefore you contribute to it. Though this topic is not about any projects now, this is about a new project. I mean, I'm also in the belief of starting from scratch. :)