Splitting login and game server poll.

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct

What do you think about having login and game server in two different projects?

Awesome
60%
Great
12%
Good
3%
Okay
9%
Awful
16%

Total votes: 75

Tryskell

Re: Splitting login and game server poll.

Post by Tryskell »

You forget things which doesn't exist on C5/IL, such as counting login attempts, and the whole panel of packets stuff (the different systems of floods check). Such things ask to refactor MMOCore on old chronicles.

As you can see, there are more work than you think in order to make it "universal". Not simply add "even more" configs, lol.

Count at least C5/IL on it, and probably until GF++ (dunno when exactly was the last MMOCore rework).
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

It's not impossible, and is worth it.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Tryskell

Post by Tryskell »

jurchiks wrote:It's not impossible, and is worth it.
I never said it was impossible. I just said from the few advantages it got (3 so far : universal, organization, size of jar), only 2 can be received : organization and size of jar. Which is worthy enough, as I said, if you got nothing better to do.

The only decent point (universal) is a lot of work. And that change nothing to the fact older chronicles need to be entirely reworked (and I worked enough on my IL pack to tell it). Getting a universal LS for a chronicle you can exploit like a crazy (C5 is even worst), what's the point.

Well I don't need to argue anymore, you got (or not) my PoV :P.

That being said... I would be hypocrite saying I won't leech it if it's released. In another hand, there are biggers "leaks" everywhere else (missing AIs, and so on)
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

Tryskell wrote: I never said it was impossible. I just said from the few advantages it got (3 so far : universal, organization, size of jar), only 2 can be received : organization and size of jar. Which is worthy enough, as I said, if you got nothing better to do
Size of jar wont change since jars excluding some stuff like login excludes gameserver and game excludes login (check builders).
powerful0guardian

Post by powerful0guardian »

even if you separate LS GS, you should have a main parent project of it like other forks called Commons, containing com.l2jserver.util and all other related stuffs what containing the together used stuffs by GS and LS.

BUT. If you have 4 projects (Commons, LS, GS, DP) or 5 projects (with CB Server, also CB could use Commons project too), would be better to use something like Maven for project management to make projects connected... with ANT would be a nightmare to handle them, rebuild JAR files again and again...
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

what "commons"? there is only a "community server" project, but that one is totally unnecassary for the server, unless you have some special reasons to use it.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
powerful0guardian

jurchiks wrote:what "commons"? there is only a "community server" project, but that one is totally unnecassary for the server, unless you have some special reasons to use it.
If you separate LS and GS, you will have to duplicate files, to avoid file duplication you should make a 3rd project used by both... that would be commons... a project containing com.l2jserver.util package and other classes used by both project... and I mentioned Community server could use it too.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Ok, got it. Though, personally, I really don't like Maven because of its stupid "download all the things!" problem. I can't understand why would it download something that I am not asking for and don't need.
If, however, it could be disabled ("offline mode" doesn't work IIRC), that would certainly help improve my opinion.
powerful0guardian

jurchiks wrote:Ok, got it. Though, personally, I really don't like Maven because of its stupid "download all the things!" problem. I can't understand why would it download something that I am not asking for and don't need.
If, however, it could be disabled ("offline mode" doesn't work IIRC), that would certainly help improve my opinion.
well, maven was just an idea, there are more ways, just maven would be the most easiest.
about download... it's downloads things only once and you dont need to download again, just if you update the repository, but its 5sec to download a lib with it. (my .m2 folder is about 75MB and I am using 3 projects with maven)
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Well, from my personal experience, it downloaded > 300 mb of whatever and kept downloading more upon every building of the project. And even if it would be "just" 75 mb, that's ~60 mb too much. It should only download what it actually needs (i.e. if my project requires lib x, y and z, download only them and not a 100 more, some of which I've never even heard about).
It wouldn't be such a problem if it downloaded in a matter of seconds, but when you have to wait f***ing 30 minutes while it downloads all those useless libs, it gets damn annoying.
powerful0guardian

jurchiks wrote:Well, from my personal experience, it downloaded > 300 mb of whatever and kept downloading more upon every building of the project. And even if it would be "just" 75 mb, that's ~60 mb too much. It should only download what it actually needs (i.e. if my project requires lib x, y and z, download only them and not a 100 more, some of which I've never even heard about).
It wouldn't be such a problem if it downloaded in a matter of seconds, but when you have to wait f***ing 30 minutes while it downloads all those useless libs, it gets damn annoying.
well, the "useless" things what you mean by downloading are like:
1. plugin what handle javac to compile
3. plugin what take classes to JAR
3. plugin what handle assembly.xml to take project to ZIP
4. plugin to handle versionning
5. the LIBs
6. the builder plugin
all of them are takes 5-15 min to download for me, and that's all. But I have to download it only once and I don't need to download again except if I add a LIB to project with 5 lines in pom.xml (but its only 5MB near)

and what you get for them?
1. dynamic project management, all projects connected
2. dependency management, adding one lib is just 5 lines in pom.xml
3. plugins (very wide selection, downloaded only the used plugins ofc)
4. etc... read more about it on Maven's site.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Why does it need to download all that?
Ant has it all in the installation, except the dependency management tools.

Besides, there's also the user-friendliness factor to consider; Maven is far more complex than Ant, and l2j's userbase is what it is.
powerful0guardian

jurchiks wrote:Why does it need to download all that?
Ant has it all in the installation, except the dependency management tools.

Besides, there's also the user-friendliness factor to consider; Maven is far more complex than Ant, and l2j's userbase is what it is.
well, I think Maven isn't the Mad Hatter in the gardrobe like you trying to show :P :D
in 1-2 weeks everyone can learn the used things... but the main thing is not that.

even if you separate LS and GS, and you will have a new project Commons used by LS, GS, CommunityServer
you will have to maintain these projects, with ANT it will be a Nightmare, when you change a file in commons, rebuild JAR put to LIBS in 3 projects... its a pain

Maven does it Automatically. Do you mind downloading 50-100MB in your life once is a high price for that?
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Make a small example, a test project, and we'll see how easy it is.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

There isn't duplicated files, the L2DatabaseFactory for example is different for LS and GS.

You are kind of off-topic here anyway :D