Doubt about Flood Packet Security

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
elmatig89

Doubt about Flood Packet Security

Post by elmatig89 »

Hello guys,

Right now with default config with unstable version, if you try to make a Macro to equip a full set, it wont work. In fact it will only equip your helmet. So i disabled the flood protection for Use Item and in fact that was the issue, the macro was working perfect after disabling it. But i knew that disabling that i was exposed to brute force attacks, like l2phx attacks and such. So i decided to set it back to 4mls.
But know i found this config:
ClientPacketQueueSize = 0

And i thought probably if i disable the flood protection for use item and enable this config for about 40 client packets or 35 it will work right?.

Well my question is:
If i do such thing, i will be still exposed to brute force attacks? like flooding packages to my server?, or setting "use item flood security" to 0 and setting ClientPacketQueueSize to 35 for example will still be safe? im asking this because the flood security option overrides the queue settings.

I hope you can help me.
thank you very much.
elmatig89

Re: Doubt about Flood Packet Security

Post by elmatig89 »

Please anyone help me with this.
burrito

Post by burrito »

I would like to know this as well, its really useful for players to be able to use macros to switch armor sets etc, especially in oly, and if its possible to set item flood protection to 0 to enable this, with out any major problems due to ClientPacketQueueSize setting, that would be great.
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JMD »

I used the 0 settings for this for a long time and nothing happened to my server.
badboy29

Post by badboy29 »

JMD wrote:I used the 0 settings for this for a long time and nothing happened to my server.
Same here.
Aka UnHoly
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

Guys, the flood protection is there for a reason.

Is like asking: if I leave the front door unlock, will anyone steal something from my house?
The answer is: if you are lucky it won't happen :lol:
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 🌌 | Eclipse Temurin 21 ☕ | MariaDB 11.3.2 🗃️ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five 🚀

🔗 Join our Discord! 🎮💬
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Zoey76 wrote:if I leave the front door unlock, will anyone steal something from my house?
I would ask the opposite question: how often do you see people walking around checking if doors are open or locked?
Of course, it's different when talking about code because there are lots of hackers around, but nevertheless - if they aren't experiencing any problems then there is no issue.
If you want to convince them to enable it then you should give some info as to what could possibly happen to their servers if the packet flood detection is disabled (i.e. can it crash a server and how, any dupe hacks possible with it, etc).
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Arantir

Post by Arantir »

The answer is that about a single burglary you would regret much and much more than about a quality door lock which you spent money for.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

We're not talking about real life here.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Tryskell

Post by Tryskell »

The fact is floodprotector is the main lag issue on big sieges and mass pvp. That protection isn't scaled correctly, at least default values aren't, and the protection isn't "intelligent". Well at least it allows to "see" problems (like reward skills in past). Stucking 5secs ? Ok, time to log with L2PHX :lol: .

About the other type of floodprotector (there are 2 : one general using ClientStats, and another for particular commands like herochat, multisell, etc), you're right about the useitem one, macros can't work correctly with it.

And if you put 0 on setting, simply drop it. You're calling the whole floodprotector stuff for nothing.

PS : that's not to L2J to protect via floodprotector and all stuff, but admins by their own mean. FPs isn't a good mean at all. 50 ppls pvping with default values and you got lags for sure.

PS2 : and no, there isn't alternatives to FPs on server side. About FPs on actions, some are legit and haven't to be dropped (chat hero 10sec for instance). Others are just "trash".

My PoV.
Last edited by Zoey76 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redacted, do not talk about or encourage client modding.