Fast collections and Java collections

If something doesn't fit in any other forum then post it here.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
KaL

Fast collections and Java collections

Post by KaL »

Hello!

I've seen discussions about Javolution being overused in the project and I'd like to have some more info about this. :roll:

In which situations javolution collections are more suitable and which not?
Also, what's the difference between using it in shared mode and using Concurrent java colletions?

Thank you :)
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: Fast collections and Java collections

Post by UnAfraid »

One of differences is that FastMap keeps its elements sorted by the way you've stored them, but ConcurrentHashMap doesn't it keeps them randomly sorted.

Also we are replacing javolution at the places that we can use native java concurrent collections.
KaL

Post by KaL »

UnAfraid wrote: Also we are replacing javolution at the places that we can use native java concurrent collections.
Thanks for the reply. :wink:
But what's the criteria for this replacement?
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

KaL wrote:
UnAfraid wrote: Also we are replacing javolution at the places that we can use native java concurrent collections.
Most of FastMaps can be safely replaced with ConcurrentHashMap (Of course where sorting doesn't matters) but some FastLists cannot be replaced with CopyOnWriteArrayList for example due to some issues for example i've replaced the lists in Olympiad that holds participants and i end up into a problem having players 'unregistered' but they wasn't or player registered into few fights at the same time and stuff like that.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

That's not really a proper answer to his question...
I'm pretty sure he meant why do you choose to replace x with y, based on what criteria? Is it actually better in that specific scenario or you just like it that way?
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
KaL

Post by KaL »

UnAfraid wrote:
KaL wrote:
Most of FastMaps can be safely replaced with ConcurrentHashMap (Of course where sorting doesn't matters) but some FastLists cannot be replaced with CopyOnWriteArrayList for example due to some issues for example i've replaced the lists in Olympiad that holds participants and i end up into a problem having players 'unregistered' but they wasn't or player registered into few fights at the same time and stuff like that.
I see, thank you :)
jurchiks wrote:I'm pretty sure he meant why do you choose to replace x with y, based on what criteria? Is it actually better in that specific scenario or you just like it that way?
Actually yes, I'd like to know better the cases I should choose between javolution and java libraries :roll:
Hyrelius

Post by Hyrelius »

I'd also like to know why one should use java-native maps and lists. Javolution suggests on their page, that their maps and lists are better and faster (at least in those cases they offer). So I'd also like to know why and when one should prefer one over the other.
Thanks in advance.
I don't mind helping - however: I only do so if I want to.
No support for other server packs than L2J.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

Hyrelius wrote:I'd also like to know why one should use java-native maps and lists. Javolution suggests on their page, that their maps and lists are better and faster (at least in those cases they offer). So I'd also like to know why and when one should prefer one over the other.
Thanks in advance.
If I made a collection API, I'd like to believe it's better than what I'm leaving behind :D