DMCA takedown

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
lord_rex

Re: DMCA takedown

Post by lord_rex »

Sacrifice wrote: No... my decission is unrefusable!.
Poor GitHub then. :(
You're right. I have forgotten how to act like a normal human being. And I play games and I lie and I trick people to avoid the truth of how I feel.
Sdw
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Sdw »

Great amalgam

:D
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

lord_rex wrote:
Nots normal his actions. First block and later question... without check anything...

By the other hand... i dont use github more... by his bad head... one client left.
Avanael92
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Avanael92 »

Sacrifice wrote:
lord_rex wrote:
Nots normal his actions. First block and later question... without check anything...

By the other hand... i dont use github more... by his bad head... one client left.
You'd the same if you don't want to be involved in a lawsuit.
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

:eh: :?:
SaveGame

Post by SaveGame »

Sacrifice wrote:Nots normal his actions. First block and later question... without check anything...
---> All names and addresses have been removed so that the DCMA claim author would remain FULLY ANONYMOUS <--- wrote:the Infringing Code no doubt was obtained by interrupting the encrypted communication that exists between the consumer-side and server-side of NCZ0ft’s proprietary game code, or by directly hacking or otherwise obtaining server-side code, constituting a violation of both the anti-circumvention provision of the DMCA and likely the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of exclusive rights that are allegedly infringed.
We are seeking GitHub’s immediate assistance in stopping the unauthorized and infringing activity described above. Specifically, we request that GitHub immediately remove the Infringing Code from GitHub.com.
Notice how they make a very strong claim, which, unfortunately, is just too easy to disprove and thus only shows utter lack of research of what actually is shared within those few hundred repositories.
GitHub wrote:we will wait 10-14 days and then re-enable your content
This is exactly what Akimaniac was talking about. Notice how NONE OTHER THAN GitHub removed EVERY SINGLE TRACE that would allow you to identify the author of takedown notice (or at least have a way to contact them, let it even be an e-mail address)?
The thing is, after someone who wants to harass you/your company files this claim, GitHub will wait two weeks after you file a counter-notice, then, since obviously the harassment author doesn't take legal action against you, your repo is reinstated, but you will NEVER receive the actual DCMA takedown notice that was received by GitHub, so you CANNOT take legal action, even if you would want to.

I do agree that if GitHub wants to publish those notices to the entire planet, they should be anonymized, but it's a malpractice to hide the contact details from the repository owner(s). DCMA mandates valid contact details FOR A REASON.

By the way, the takedown notice was only published several hours after all repositories were removed from public access.
Last edited by SaveGame on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maneco2
Initiates
Initiates

Post by maneco2 »

Be patient, wait for the team to solve the problem! :+1:
Last edited by maneco2 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volix

Post by volix »

Zoey76 wrote:I'm working on this, an official press release will be done in the following hours.
Don't worry! :+1:
Last edited by volix on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nik
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Nik »

I'm wondering, is sniffing your own traffic that goes from your computer considered as interrupting or hacking that traffic?
Basically what we do is just look at the traffic that is generated within our computer. Which poses the question, is this traffic my property or NCZ0ft's property?
Playing a game where you know how every single mechanism works is quite satisfying.
Its the main perk that a gamer-developer has :D
lord_rex

Post by lord_rex »

So here is my theory & my advice:
This guy (the one who submitted the DMCA) was not part of NCZ0ft, but was a fake person. Here are my main reasons:
1. The contact information is private. (Suspicious, a serious game manufacturer company like NCZ0ft would use its name in public for serious matters like it.)
2. Anyone... I repeat ANYONE can submit a DMCA. (https://help.github.com/articles/guide- ... er-notice/)
3. NCZ0ft has let people have private servers & server packs for years. I hardly doubt the joke I've mentioned above (about the new manager and his new car) would be realistic. Why change their policy now? That move could be fatal even for NCZ0ft. Players won't go to play on official servers because private servers are closed even dumbsoft knows that too. Most of players ain't have time for leveling and they'd rather play another game. It could affect NCZ0ft too.

But then who submitted the DMCA? I suppose it was an L2OFF server owner who wanted to eliminate the concurrency of L2J based servers.

My advice is to report him back (if it is possible, probably only through mail against an unknown person - not sure it will have effect, but worth a try). Why report him back? Well, obviously because a fake person is submitting a fake claim. Clear as the sun.

If it was real NCZ0ft, I'd demand them to post an official statement about the topic on their own official site.

PS: Also see this (accidently left?) address DMCA on google maps:
488 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10022
https://www.google.hu/maps/place/488+Ma ... 7a!6m1!1e1

What the heck is it? A furniture store? I don't really see any NCZ0ft related logo near the buildings. Not even "game development" related company names. All I see is the furniture store, a nice cloth shop, and a jewelry shop... :D

So a final & funny conclusion, in case my theory is right:
An L2OFF server owner (who is using literally stolen NCZ0ft files) submitted a DMCA in hope of terminating the concurrent L2J servers & server packs - in behalf of the very victim company he has just stolen from - in a way making the legal emulated servers looks like illegal.
You're right. I have forgotten how to act like a normal human being. And I play games and I lie and I trick people to avoid the truth of how I feel.
Nik
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Nik »

I dont think someone that want only L2J down would blame L1 and AION
Playing a game where you know how every single mechanism works is quite satisfying.
Its the main perk that a gamer-developer has :D
lord_rex

Post by lord_rex »

Nik wrote:I dont think someone that want only L2J down would blame L1 and AION
They/he had to make it look like official.

Look: I've found a name for you:
I bet 50% that he is responsible for the DMCA.
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=31739
LasTravel

Post by LasTravel »

Aristos

Post by Aristos »

Back in the day (ca 2006-2007), when NC dropped the hammer on l2x, their legal department went ham and sent takedown notices to many people. Even then, they didn't persuade the situation much. Later, once those letters became public, people would start sending each other these letters from fake emails, fun times (along with friendly many gbps DDoS attacks) :kappa: There were hosts that would immediately take your server down once they received such letters, just like github (I think it was a german one but it's been many years) and others that would just open a ticket on your dashboard and would discuss the issue. I even remember one time, when a support guy replied just under the auto generated (or copy paste) ticket about DMCA something like "oh it's one of those again for you, I will close the ticket if you agree".

I don't know about this one. It is quite remarkably well written to be just a random guy raging against l2j (especially these days, although I don't really follow things the last few years). Unless it's based off some other DMCA notice on the web, I honestly believe it might be NC again. It is not uncommon for companies these days to outsource legal stuff (hence btw the addressm it might be the office of a small legal firm), since many firms will only charge you if they achieve something (eg. torrent hunting legal firms who will send you a notice to pay a small fine like 30 bucks and then keep 5$ for themselves and give the rest to the client, so you can avoid a legal case).

My personal advice is, don't give a damn. NC didn't go to extremes even back in the golden days, why would they now? Legal battles, especially those with funny chances of actually winning, are very costly. Plus, if they wanted to shut down l2j, they would do other things and long before now. They once sent a message, now they don't bother.. Sent a reply back to GitHub, tell them to track where this email was sent from (if it's something like legal@ncxxx and the IP traces to afghanistan, well...), explain the situation and repository will be back online. It might be some kid that wants to kill l2j now that's in a decline (believe it or not, those emails back then were a very nice route of escape if you wanted to scuttle a project :mrgreen: ).

No matter what, my unprecedented support in this situation.
Last edited by Aristos on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lord_rex

Post by lord_rex »

Well, possibly that ClockMan is one of these L2OFF server owners too. :)

Obviously because L2OFF cannot catch up with java servers so fast supporting the latest client - so they try that way to force people stay on older chronicles. Very nice strategy.